Old 05-26-22, 03:39 PM
happy_cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
The linked Shimano product page says: "Shifts max. 3 gears at a time (Main lever)"

The main lever (thumb) pulls on the shift cable and moves the chain to a physically larger cog (i.e., down shift to a lower gear ratio) while the trigger (index finger) lets the chain drop to the next physically smaller cog (i.e., up shift to a higher gear ratio).

So being able to down shift 3 gears at a time is only useful for climbing, while the OP wants more rapid up shifts after cresting a hill.
Thanks for pointing that out. I would have gotten confused by it.

And I've actually been afraid to shift gears too rapidly because I didn't want to do something wrong, so learning to do this would/will take a little practice.

Edit: Come to think of it...doing this seems like it could be a little dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. It seems like this would most come in handy if you get caught on a hill in too high of a gear. At that point, you're probably having to use a lot of force on the pedals. If you don't ease up enough when trying to downshift 3 gears at once, is that even worse for your gears than trying to downshift with force 1 gear at a time?

Last edited by happy_cyclist; 05-26-22 at 06:22 PM.