View Single Post
Old 05-29-22, 12:31 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Not hurt, just commented that you did exactly what you said others were doing, despite the fact it wasn't true.
I'm well aware, thank you.

A 4 pound nylon tent including poles and stakes is not that much on a bicycle. Mine weighs less, but if someone what's to carry something that weighs 4 or 5 pounds, who cares.
No body cares.

Not everyone wants to pay $700 for a tent that doesn't come with poles or stakes just to save 2 pounds.
Obviously.
If you do, great. You gave a nice option for those interested.
Thank you.

I just called you out for mocking people who carry tents heavier than yours. It was your mocking tone that was the issue.
I wasn't mocking others tent choices. I was mocking your reading into my words your personal emotional baggage.

Here is what that the Ataplex tent weighs, 15.4 ounces, but... it costs $675, and here is the details on the weight and what comes with:Weight:

The total weight displayed near the 'add to cart' button includes guy lines, sewn in linelocs, taped seams, and a stuff sack. A piece of repair tape is included with the tent. Your choice of canopy material will change the total weight.

*6x Stakes are required but are not included. We have a variety of Ultralight Stakes to choose from.
As if I don't know the details of what I already own & use.

The tent also does not come with poles, you use a trekking pole or buy their tent poles, so that is an extra cost, and extra weight. Still lightweight, but at what cost?
The cost is whatever you want it to be. I use a single carbon fiber staff that is also dual purpose as a very useful walking stick. It is ideal for steep & uneven terrain. A pole-jack & ski-pole work good too. As does a friendly stick by the trail side. Furthermore I have a variety of stakes of various merits for various ground. Sometimes, I bring more than I need & don't even use them all as rocks, sticks, logs, etc prove to be more suitable securement points in a given site. Suluk has the lightest stakes, albeit the most finicky, but there many others. I have a few from just about everybody. Mixing & matching as I see fit. Last I checked, stakes or poles are not part of the tent, but only one component of a shelter system. It only makes sense to not include the unnecessary variables in the single item weight. System weight is up to the individual hiker. Should they include the weight of the log the guy line was attached to, too? Silliness.

Carrying on my back, I get it. Carrying on my bike, not so much. If I want something that lightweight, I will use my Warbonnet Blackbird hammock. It's comfortable, easy to set up, and I am always dry in heavy rain, and so is my bike and gear under the tarp and hammock.
Good for you.

You have over $700 in the setup to achieve the weight I have with my hammock setup. I can park my bike under the tarp.

How goes the bug situation? No mosquitos where you hike? No ticks? Must be nice.
I like the idea of a tarp & hammock. I really do. I just can't bring myself to forgo the bug refuge a fine mesh screen & the cleanliness a bathtub tarp floor provides.

You do you. There isn't a right way, only compromises based on competing priorities.
Likes For base2: