Old 05-30-22, 10:06 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Maybe I'm not understanding, but my first guess would be that the stem slipped on the steerer tube.
The stem only prevents the steerer tube from moving down but not up. If the steerer went up, you'll get a loose headset even if you tightened the stem bolts real good.

When I was trying to tighten it up, first the top cap, it won't preload the bearings anymore so I removed top cap and saw the steer is almost to the same level of the stem. Before I panicked (because I threw away all my spacers) so there's no way I could preload the bearings anymore, I found a good sized washer and used that as spacer to help preload the bearings.

It worked out. Took the bike for a ride in a really bumpy route, hitting washboard surfaces at 20 mph. Upon getting home, I checked the preload. NOW the headset is less preloaded. Meaning the steerer tube went up again but this time by an an incredibly small amount so the bearings are still preloaded just fine, no play, no unusual noises, working perfectly like new.

For now I decided to stop worrying about it. I'll guess I'll keep checking the preload level after each ride and see if it's diminishing. I really do hope I didn't break anything on the headset, for sure the sealed bearings are fine because it's perfectly smooth but I'm a little worried the lower cups may have cracked or something.