View Single Post
Old 06-02-22, 04:39 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18326 Post(s)
Liked 15,307 Times in 7,234 Posts
Originally Posted by kevmcd
I went last year and I want to do it again this year.

I plan to Amtrak into Whitefish with my bike and arrive on either June 16th or 23rd depending on the weather (Last year I got soaked on the ride between White Fish and West Glacier).

With the pandemic there were lots of campsites available last year. Both bicycle sites and regular campsites.

This year the regular campsites are completely booked starting early June even though most of the roads are still closed. I am hoping that other cycle tourists will be welcoming and willing to share the bike campsites. Otherwise it is going to be a big complication. Last year I camped at Apgar. This year I would like to camp at Sprague Creek. I'm an old guy and the extra miles to Apgar took a toll on me even though it is flat along the lake shore.

Last year I spent a couple nights in Whitefish State Park after 2 nights in Glacier. I will probably do the same this year. The downside of the State Park is that there are freight trains all night long. If you go to the State Park bring your swimsuit. I didn't have one last year.
Sprague Creek doesn’t have individual biker sites. You camp in the infield of the loop. There are several tent pads and picnic tables. If the pads are taken the host will almost certainly allow you to pitch on the ground. Bonus is that you can walking to the lodge. I love Sprague Creek.

BTW...You should check Glacier's official website. Sounds like plows are still encountering 30' drifts at Triple Arches on the west slope, and bad weather has been slowing operations. Word 'round the campfire is that the road may not open fully (at least to cars) until late June or even early July. I definitely think the middle off June would be too early if you are looking to ride up all the way. As of a couple of days ago there was a hard closure at The Loop for hikers/bikers due to avalanche concerns and bear activity.

Assume you are following the ACA routing between C-Falls and W. Glacier rather than taking U.S. 2 through Hungry Horse. If not, I can show you the way.

I stayed at Whitefish Lake State Park in 2017 and 2019. Great hiker/biker amenities. Rail traffic was minimal to non-existent at night, but trains did start up at dawn. At least they no longer blow their horns at the grade crossing on the road leading to the park entrance. What's known as a "quiet zone" was established. That town has undergone a large expansion. I first rode through there in 1999 and then again in 2000. Returned in 2009 for a loop tour. When I rode into town in 2017 I could not believe what I saw. So much development on the west side of town. I am virtually certain that the golf course and that housing along/just off U.S. 93 was not there in 2009.

Last edited by indyfabz; 06-02-22 at 07:28 AM.