Old 06-08-22, 02:39 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,375 Times in 1,580 Posts
If we are just looking for a yes/no reply, I'd have to go with ... maybe.

If we are allowed to make an essay question, I'll say that I have a long history of being exposed to Raleigh's marketing material, and therefore have been thoroughly indoctrinated in the cult of the Raleigh Team bikes. I've got one that was built in 1982, so it qualifies as an 80's bike, despite the graphics originating in the 70's.

The Raleigh catalog was my first exposure to the Team and its distinctive graphics. Raleigh was building some eye catching bikes in that era, from the gorgeous emerald green of the modest Super Course, the classic lagoon blue of the Gran Sport, the copper colored "candy" paint on the International, to the legendary blue mink and silver Raleigh Professional. The red/yellow/black team colors used on the Team were just as lovely and prestigious...

The prestige was based on accomplishments, having been raced in the TdF and by the British legend Beryl Burton...

As a proper member of the cult, I've managed to latch onto one of these great machines myself, so I admit to having no objectivity and being fully bewitched by this bike!

Steve in Peoria
(but that 7-11 Merckx is still pretty great!)