View Single Post
Old 06-13-22, 07:40 AM
Kabuki12

Bikes: 71 Stella,72 Mondia Special,72 ItalVega Grand Rallye, 73 Windsor Pro,75 Colnago Super,76 Kabuki DF,77 Raleigh Comp.GS,78 Raleigh Pro,80 Moto Gran Sprint,82 Medici Pro Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked 1,438 Times in 845 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
Yes, there's always the possibility that the owner's bicycle has been modified and repainted. However, if you're basing the relative age on the relative value of the serial numbers, that's a false assumption. Acer-Mex, the manufacturer of Windsor was a full range, mass volume manufacturer. I've seen confirmed models from the very 1970s that still only have a four numeral serial number, so it would not appear to be just purely sequential. I suspect that the first numeral may be a year code but I don't have enough good data to have an even a moderate level of confidence.
So true, as with a lot of these vintage bikes . Serial #'s were not as important to the O.M. I was also basing it on the mention of no holes on the BB shell. I believe that makes it earlier than mine and those braze ons were done when the bike was repainted. The advert from the distributor shows only two color options for the Pro , silver , or orange. To me , the op bike looks like a rose color of silver and the later Columbus decal doesn't jive with the other features that date this bike to be an early one. Who knows? Joe