Old 06-16-22, 08:19 AM
dvdwmth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Dman1234
you will be fine with those tires
I can not recall but I am pretty sure you have heard that camping on the lock system is a great option and I believe it’s free … there is space in Merrickville and just outside of there in Burritis rapids that is really nice … even warm water and shower in the later.. if you want real fancy u can rent a yurt and crash in comfort ? $$$
enjoy
Let us know what you think
I didn't know this actually. Good to know. I'll look into.

I have actually reconsidered my route though.
I almost swerved into the side of a transport truck the other day. I was on a short 3k stretch of road between an urban bike path in Guelph and the Guelph to Goderich trail. It's not a great road since there are short sections with no paved shoulders at all, just gravel with pot holes and a crumbling, raised edge to the asphault, and it can get somewhat busy. Still, I've ridden it many times and never really felt concerned.
This time though, there was transport truck behind me, so i moved to the gravel since there was no room for the truck to pass, and after he passed i wanted out of that situation but needed to swerve a bit to get up on the lip without crashing, and there was another truck right behind it. I missed the sticking out parts by about a foot, but it was pure luck. I'm sure you all know that feeling of a vehicles air displacement, and you know it was way too close. I've always been very proactive in keeping myself safe in traffic, and i have decades of experience doing so, and even experience as a downtown bike courier, but i completely failed to do so in this situation. Not the first time this year either. If i had miscalculated that lip and tipped over i would have been popped like a grape. Or i could have been hit by the mirror and gone under the wheels. I'd rather fight a bear. At least I'd be nourishing some wild thing instead of being a pile of mush for some poor soul to shovel off the road.
I'm a dad and my kids are still youngish so I'm staying off the roads as much as possible. It upsets me on so many levels that this is still the reality of riding a bike, especially in the age of global warming, but clearly we don't matter as far as highway management goes.
Time to get one of those Lidar things companies like Garmin are selling now.

Sooo, looks like its the rail trail north of kingston to Perth or Smith falls. I'll just throw the family in the car some weekend and DRIVE to belleville.

Of course if anyone knows a road with a proper, continuous, SAFE, shoulder between Bellevile and Smith Falls/Perth, that might be doable, but i haven't been able to find one.