Thread: 1984 Trek 850
View Single Post
Old 06-20-22, 08:42 AM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by theblackbullet
So some questions, if you're willing and able to help:
Does anyone know the original seatpost diameter for this bike? It came with a 27.0 seatpost and a chopped up wald 13/16" to 7/8" shim. I currently have a 27.2 seatpost in there with a coke can and a half shim. It seems a 27.4 might be the right fit?
At some point someone tried to touch up paint with black spray paint covering up the original beautiful metallic flake. I'd like to try and remove what I can without damaging the original paint. I don't mind the nicks on the frame but the dull black spray paint really bugs me. Any suggestions on how to best approach this?
I love the original stem, but I'd like to consider a wider bar. Do I have any options with this double clamp? I don't think there is a bulge at the clamps. I'll have to measure my diameter when I get a chance.
Sheldon Brown's site lists 27.2 as the most likely candidate, but you have one in place now plus a shim so another 2mm may be it. As far as the spray bomb touch-up goes; I have used acetone on a rag to remove it. Trek paint is tough, so if you don't go overboard with the acetone it should take care of the problem without harming the original paint - be careful around decals though. Nice bike.
Likes For dweenk: