View Single Post
Old 06-20-22, 01:29 PM
Aladin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Appalachian, 1998 Litespeed BlueRidge.. 1977? Schwinn LeTour 12.2 'Rain Daze'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
I really think you need to get a bike and wheel set that will support that much weight, and have clearance for, at least, 35mm tires. Not being critical, but, you probably have extra pounds you could lose. Otherwise, wheels are always going to be an issue. My recommendation is 36 spoke wheels with heavy duty rims. Modern wheel builds and wider rims, you could probably get away with fewer spokes. Having said that, here is a link, https://www.novatecusa.net/product/novatec-30/, to a pretty heavy duty wheel set. the rims are 20mm internal width, spokes are 20 in front, and 24 in back, but they are heavy duty spokes. The rear wheel is 8 non-drive and 16 drive side. This is to give you an idea of what to look for.
I have a set of these that I use with tubes. The hubs spin very well, the wheels roll just fine. They are heavy, almost 2000 grams for the pair. With the 20mm internal, some pretty wide tires will work on them. Wide tires will help support the weight. At $200, pretty hard to beat. There are other options out there for heavy duty wheels. Do some research. Also, I have to have at least 2 bikes just for the reason you stated in your post. I am on a self imposed, 2 day sabbatical from riding bikes. That is hard for me. I have to have other things to keep my mind and body occupied, or I cave and go for a ride. My legs were feeling quite tired as I have been pushing the mileage this month. The 2 days will pay off. I have gotten a lot chores and errands done, and have done some minor work on a couple of bikes.
\

I can NOT believe a 24 H trip being recommended for 3 bills.... things NEVER CHG here. That is just NUTS.

Do NOT buy second hand wheels.... for sure at your poundage. And do not sweat the scale reading... YOU are riding...

32's are ok... YET DO NOT chase those wheels now w repeated breakage. 32 requires high end built at that load.. quality components---see spokes. Factory wheels
mostly are not high end.. by miles. Bike shops notorisly are NOT QUALIFIED to true a wheel to 'stand'. IE... hold up.

Lots of us around that could set you up. Suggest a wheelbuilder w experience... worth the coins. By miles.
Likes For Aladin: