aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by ArgoMan
Hello all,

Getting into my new build. Light steel frame, steel fork (Soma). Kind of a mix for distance/speed build. Need a wheelset recommendation. I've got no carbon on the bike, except for headset spacers, and don't really care if I add anything carbon. BUT, I did see a set of "Fast Forward Tyro Clincher Carbons" at ProBikeKit for $679. Seems like a decent price with good reviews. I'was otherwise looking at Campy Zonda and Shamal. Any opinion or info on the Fast Forward brand? Thank you!
I run Campy Zondas on a rim brake bike, and think they're pretty sweet. They seem light, spin up quickly, and the G3 lacing pattern is different. The hub on these is also very, very quiet when freewheeling, so if you're looking for a loud buzz... these ain't it. I went with them because they're alloy, which I definitely prefer on a rim brake bike - were I building up a disc brake bike, I'd probably look harder at carbon options like FF, Prime, or Hunt, which also have wheels in that price range. Should be just as light, but more aero - or lighter, and equivalently non-aero. I seem to remember someone did a review on FF wheels - if I can recall who it is, I'll link to it.