View Single Post
Old 06-29-22, 01:13 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
I am baffled about the manner in which conclusions are arrived here. Every twist shifter on Earth basically applies nearly directly the force of hand to the cable. Most common derailleurs have at least OK arm. The room for poor design/operation, after cable friction got eliminated, is in the position of cable stop, here below BB. Mountable cable stops could help.
Originally Posted by 2_i
The 'against twist shifter sentiment' posts have one tangential value to me of quickly populating the bin of 'do not follow their advice' in matters where my expertise is weak.
There is, in my hands on experience, a huge world of difference in quality between high end and low end twist shifters in areas such as durability, function, materials

I am not against twist shifters, but have lot's of experience with cheapo ones on BSO from big box stores. They simply don't work well or last, especially combined with the over all low end level of components overall.

when I have worked on bikes like that my goal is to get them working, reliably for the owner, especially if owner is a kid or not bike mechanics knowledgeable, hence the recommendation for friction thumbshifters. They work.

so listen to experience or not.... your choice

now get off my lawn

Likes For squirtdad: