Old 07-02-22, 07:32 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
Originally Posted by smasha
Yeah, my intuition tells me that a loop or rack over the top should add stability, if not strength. Whether that's true or not, I don't know. Ideally, I'd like to bolt it to the top of the fork, eg via a caliper-brake boss; it seems that none of the low-rider racks actually have this feature…?

IIUC, it wouldn't necessarily preclude a rack like the Tubus Duo, but it wouldn't benefit from that rack's ability to bolt to both the inside and outside of the fork.
When you say caliper brake boss, I am not sure if you mean the fork crown or if you mean canti brake posts. Tubus made a rack called the Smarti that you could mount on canti brake posts instead of using the mid-fork rack mounting points. I think it was intended for people that did not have the mid-fork mounting points. Not sure when it went out of production, but since the manufacturers have largely abandoned rim brakes, a lot of other companies have dropped making components or accessories that were rim brake oriented. Looks like one European company has one in stock.
https://www.xxcycle.com/low-rider-tu...-black,,en.php

Yes, you could use a rack like the Tubus Duo if you skipped using one of three mounting bolts on each side, but why would you buy a Duo if that was your plan? My comment was really intended to warn people to look at their fork before they buy the rack.
Likes For Tourist in MSN: