View Single Post
Old 07-06-22, 07:57 AM
discordman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Thank-you for the photos. Based on the frame characteristics it is a 1992 model. The components appear to be Shimano 300LX, which are consistent with the era, so they are likely original to the bicycle. There were no 300LX equipped Nishiki models in 1992, at least not in the USA. However, I notice that you are located in the Philippines. Model specs and names often vary between markets, which complicates identification.

From a component perspective, the closest USA models are the Colorado, which used 500LX components that were 2 groups higher than 300LX, and the Backroads, which used the 200GS components that were one group below 300LX. The frame style itself resembles the Manitoba model, which was one step below the Backroads.

The only USA market Nishiki with a suspension fork in 1992 was the top of the line Alien SP. It was rare to have suspension forks at this level in 1992, so I strongly suspect that they were added by the previous owner.

Regrettably, the only thing that I can tell you for sure, is that it is a 1992 model. Based on the frame and components, I'd classify it as upper entry level. With the OEM rigid fork, it would have had a retail price of around $375-$400 USA, had it been available in the USA market. Selective photo assist...
If I'm going to look for a fork like what it originally came with, what should I watch out for? Aside from the cantilever posts.

Would you have a photo that I can compare with?

Thank you!