View Single Post
Old 07-06-22, 08:41 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Nice. When you look around a bit you'll see that we already understand the "why". I love your Gandalf headbadge! It gives me ideas...

My LBS built my RockHopper for me. Looks like yours did an excellent job. I look forward to your ride reports.

PS Where are you? I promise no one here will stalk you.

Originally Posted by Scrapegote
Sure thing ...
The why: a 94 stumpy was my first real mountain bike, I had it when I was in the service (on a ship in the Navy), and just loved taking it out in ports and roaming around. I recently fell in love with long gravel rides and bikepacking in general, and just wanted to turn an old stumpy into a gravel bike. I also love the way these things climb. This frame was on Ebay, in pretty good shape. I had replica decals made, and had it repainted with a clear coat over the decals. I named it Gandalf (the grey), cheesy I know, and had a custom Gandalf badge made that turned out amazing. Other build stuff ...
  • FRAME/FORK 1991 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 20", Direct Drive Tange Prestige
  • RIMS Velocity Cliffhanger Black 32H 27.5"
  • HUBS (Front) SRAM 900 15/12/QR x 100mm, 32H, (Rear) SRAM 900 32H, 6 Bolt Disc XDR 11/12 27.8mm Driver
  • TIRES Ultradynamico ROSE Race 650b
  • HANDLEBARS Salsa Cowchipper
  • HEADSET Ritchey Logic Comp 1-1/8" threadless, 30mm spacers. Black
  • CRANKSET SRAM GX 175mm Boost
  • CASSETTE SRAM XG-1275 GX Eagle Cassette 10-52t 12-Speed
  • REAR DERAILLEUR SRAM SX Eagle Rear Derailleur - 12 Speed, Long Cage
  • BRAKES BR-T4000 V-Brakes
  • SHIFTER Gevenalle 1x12 GX Compatible Long Pull
  • SADDLE Brooks Saddles Men's Imperial B17 Standard Bike Saddle, Antique Brown
  • SEATPOST Post Modern
  • STEM Black TIG 10Deg Alloy Wedge
  • PEDALS RaceFace Chester
  • FRONT BAGS Roadrunner Middle Earth Jammer
  • REAR BAGS Roadrunner Drafter
  • OTHER ACCESSORIES Blackburn Outpost Cargo Cage, 15" Voile Straps
I should also mention that my local bikeshop in Colorado did the bulk of the difficult work, and was responsible for finding components that work, and build the bulk of the bike.