Old 07-07-22, 09:10 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
You might not trust me but maybe youll trust sheldon brown Braking and Turning Your Bicycle (sheldonbrown.com)

Maximum Deceleration--Emergency Stops

The fastest that you can stop any bike of normal wheelbase is to apply the front brake so hard that the rear wheel is just about to lift off the ground. In this situation, the rear wheel cannot contribute to stopping power, since it has no traction.

Most people are terrible at emergency stops and use the back brake far too much. Removing it from the equation can force one to learn how to properly emergency stop
I'm afraid to say that Larry is right about using only the front brake to stop in the shortest distance possible in a bicycle.

I also read from another article, different author saying about the same thing. And from personal experience as well.

However, braking to the point where the rear wheel is almost fully unloaded also makes the bike quite unstable and at the brink of the rear wheel sliding out or the rider doing an endo even if you don't engage the rear brake. The best way to deal with the situation is avoid getting yourself in situations where you need to emergency brake in the first place. Ride defensively and safely.