Old 07-11-22, 02:38 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
so, being very 'Off Topic" - I have a different perspective on 'advice from slower' riders...
as a young person, enamored but vastly unknowledgeable about cycling, my primary and quite extensive education into 'performance' cycling came from a bunch of old, somewhat out-of-shape riders in central park, NYC.
They cajoled, made fun of me and at the same time opened my eyes to both the higher side of riding and equipment. I was very, very green, and knew that.
They were old, somewhat slow, over-the-hill gang, who took me under their wing, because my un-initiate status kept them well stoked with humor. Some claimed 'ex-racer' status from their Euro roots (all were immigrants of various nationalities). Their park benches by the boathouse, were my schoolhouse.
Much of what they conveyed, set me on a good and 'lifelong' track, some concepts have since fallen away... I've since been blessed with forming a good life, family and a reasonable living from my passions. Couldn;t have asked for better - 'more' was up to me...
The 'real' racers, at that time in the mid 60's in Metro NYC, were a tight clic, not easy to break into, without the right equipment and the real 'legs'.
So
I'm always careful not to judge an idea solely based on the physical attributes of the idea's origin.
... back to your regularly scheduled programing...

... I love a good joke, but don;t ask me to retell it properly - I just never seem to remember it properly...
same for 'dumb things heard'... if I were asked to imitate Trump... I'd fail miserably... LOL!
Ride On
Yuri
The guys who give me this "advice" are typically younger than me, so I find it funny to drop them like a bad habit after the deposits of their wisdom droppings.

Talking to older guys about stuff they learned during their biking days is a whole different thing, you told that story very well.
Likes For livedarklions: