View Single Post
Old 07-14-22, 04:52 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by willydstyle
First off: you can get punctures from user error. If you fixed the flat then reinstalled the tube and tire poorly you could easily have pinched the tube between the bead of the tire and rim. If you failed to inflate the tire properly you could easily have gotten a "snakebite" puncture from hitting a bump that compressed the tube against the rim. If you patched the tube without removing the offending sharp object from the tire it could easily puncture the tube again, and some types of sharp debris (such as wires shed from damaged truck tires) can be extremely difficult to find in your tire.

Secondly: Bell makes very, very cheap bike parts that are not worth the money you spend on them. I would be very unsurprised if the Bell tires you purchased offer very little real puncture protection.

Thirdly: sometimes you just get unlucky.

Learning how to diagnose the causes of punctures will help you figure out what's at play here. An improperly installed tire and tube will puncture the tube on the side. A "snakebite" from an underinflated tire will be on the inside of the tube, in contact with the rim. If you always align the tire the same way when you reinstall it after a flat it can help you find offending sharp debris if the punctures are on the outside of the tube.
Excellent analysis. It took me almost 40 years to discover all this
I am a slow learner
Likes For alcjphil: