Old 07-27-22, 08:36 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
When I looked up those routes only one was in the Rockies proper. Unless I found the wrong ones of the same name, then they stretch from the Smokies to the Rockies. Most between.
Yes. Triple ByPass is in the Rockies, and the 3 peaks are over 10,000' Cherohala and Six Gap are in the Appalachians/Smokies, and Dairyland Dare/Horrible Hilly Hundred are in the driftless area of SW Wisconsin (well known to racers from St. Louis)

If your friend is use to that much pedaling on a ride and does it regularly then I don't think you have much to worry about. Those aren't super steep routes IMO. Just long periods of climbing. The Six Gap might be the most arduous as it has the longest distances of steady climbing and you'll be at higher elevations where O2 might leave you gasping for a breath. But just pedal on, despite the gasping, you'll have plenty of energy for it. At least that was my experience with going up to 14,000 feet on Mount Evans CO.
I didn't realize Six Gap in Georgia was higher then 10,000' elevation, just knew a lot of climbing. I've done Cherohala, Dairyland Dare, and Horrible Hilly Hundred. We are going to CO 2 weeks early, will likely do (formerly known as) Mount Evans, and run over and try the Copper Triangle route.

The other routes seemed low enough elevation not to be an issue. Also not sure why you think the DairyLand Dare is steeper. It looked like it averaged a much lower grade over all. However since it was shorter, the scale of the vertical compared to the horizontal distance made it's profile appear like a steeper road.
Having done the Dairyland Dare (6x) from 100K to 200K, the climbing is relentless, often shorter, and certainly seemed more brutal. Perhaps it's just the constancy. There is a climb on Horrible Hilly Hundred (right at the end) that Lemond made famous/infamous in the Juniors. ATV's have tipped over backwards on it.

If I was doing them unloaded, I'd be happy with the 34F / 36R... even just a 32 rear which is what I did Mt. Evans with and I only needed it for the few times the grade kicked up briefly. Otherwise the 4% average grade was just steady grinding away on the cranks.
We did (formerly known as) Mount Evans on CompuTrainers, took awhile. The only real-life comparable climb we've done together is Thunder Ridge in VA, 12.75 miles at 5.6% average. "just steady grinding away" is apt.

If loaded with stuff, that might be a different matter. And I have no idea what would work for a loaded down ride as I just don't carry anything with me other than hydration, snacks and stuff for a flat tire. Luggage and other stuff can go in a car with my wife.
I'd do that, but she'll be riding whatever modifications I do here!

Thanks again for the information. It will be useful. Our last training ride here is Saturday, 104 miles and 7,000' of climbing. No mountains, though.