Thread: "Consumables?"
View Single Post
Old 07-28-22, 12:28 PM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
I think every component of a bike is a consumable. They just last to differing stress usage. I've seen 'lifetime' guarantee frames worn out and broken from heavy mileage use - well beyond what the average cyclist will ever do.

A friend of mine wants to dip his toes into MTB racing but doesn't have a suitable bike. I've offered him a loan of my 22 yr old Giant MTB to see what he thinks. The bike looks new. It has hardly been ridden - perhaps 100 miles in all those years. Age means he ought to replace the tyres and tubes and give it a general service but it is otherwise ready to race. It is, at the moment, entirely original.

My 2019 MTB is on its 3rd set of tyres and has had several services with minor consumable's replacements. My two road bikes (2019/2020) have been through a few chains, tyres, handlebar tape and on their second BB's - because they have seen a lot of mileage in their young existence.

As another has posted: it all depends upon age, use and abuse. I think it also depends upon how long people still use things beyond their recommended use. Some folks run stuff well beyond their being safely stretched or worn or aged.