Thread: "Consumables?"
View Single Post
Old 07-28-22, 07:40 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Do they? I always think it’s funny when people say, “You should buy a Chris King headset, because it’s the last headset you’ll ever buy.” Honestly, every headset can be the last one you’ll ever buy if you keep it adjusted. I’ve had Cane Creek and Ritchey units that have outlasted the frames they were installed on.
In my racing days of 5k New England miles per year on a steep head tubed criterium bike, headsets went one year. Still ridable at that point but "brineling" past no-handing wasn't far away so each March a new one went in. (Yes, just Tanges, but a NR would only go a few months longer and die mid-season.)

Headsets have gotten a lot better. Stronglight's roller HS on my Mooney is as good as it was in the '90s when I put it on. The Chris King on another bike has 20k and is going strong. But I still ride Tanges on three bikes and just replace them as needed, every 8-10k.