View Single Post
Old 07-30-22, 12:07 PM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
That being said, I wonder if things like chain skipping or pedal strikes can be more dangerous with clipless pedals. Ive talked to multiple people who have crashed when sprinting out of the saddle and had a chain skip, and ive had my foot fall off the pedal during a chain skip. Was happy that I wasn't attached to the bike. Beyond the obvious falling at stop signs, aren't there some safety disadvantages with clipless pedals, especially if one isn't used to them? Im afraid of them because im very used to crashing with flat pedals and due to a neck injury im really not allowed to crash for another year or so.
Chain dropping, which to me happens really rarely - either when shifting from big to small chainring under power trying to hold a wheel, or hitting a pothole at a lot of speed while the chain is slack or something - generally, nothing happens (in the first situation your foot falls down but it's easy to keep upright). If it dropped on a full out sprint that might be worse but otherwise, it's just an annoyance.

I did fall trying to learn how to ride them; practiced on the trainer so I wouldn't have to fall outside, on my parking lot unclipped right foot and tipped over my left side in a slow motion crash. Then I repeated this just before a race in front of about a hundred other cyclists. The only damage was to my ego 🤣

I crashed due to pedal strike once on flat pedals, never on clipless, so I couldn't tell the difference. I hit the deck so fast, anyway.

The only time I feel safer on flat pedals is offroad because I pretty much suck at it, but on the road I strongly prefer them. For commuting flats are just practical, though.

Last edited by Branko D; 07-30-22 at 12:45 PM.