Thread: Road Rage
View Single Post
Old 08-02-22, 12:37 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3771 Post(s)
Liked 1,041 Times in 788 Posts
I don't experience too much of road rage, but of course it happens to us all. However, what I do experience with much more frequency is bad driving. There's this one road that does have a bike lane, but is six lanes across and the speed limit is 55 45-mph (although, we all know they go at least 55).

This roadway has tons of shopping centers, car dealerships and many other turn-offs for vehicles to make, so as you would expect, I have to be on my guard for Right Hooks -- and I deal with them a lot on this particular road.

Just the other day, I was going ~20-mph and I see this car coming from behind me and I know they're going to attempt to pass me to make a right in front of me (she did NOT use her signal), with a line of cars (about 2 or 3) already going much slower, because they are turning. And sure enough, she passes me and suddenly slows way down with me just 100-feet from the turning point going very fast. Because I'm use to this I was already preparing to take the lane behind her --- that's a major reason I use a mirror, I need complete awareness of everything around me.

As she started to make the turn, I saw that little old lady do a half-ass check behind her for me, but I was already in the middle of the lane. I would easily have hit here if I stayed in the bike lane.

I don't think she meant to do it (cut me off), I think most people just don't understand how fast cyclist go, as opposed to most other recreational riders.

P.S. Despite her not using her turn signal, I just get a feel for when drivers are going to do something squirrely that's how I knew there was a very good possibility of her turning -- that just comes with miles and miles of riding. She could easily have slowed down and allowed me to pass the intersection first, but like I said above, I don't think she realized how fast I was going.