Old 08-03-22, 07:33 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
BruceA78 if you want to get a sense of how hand/body position changes may affect comfort over distance/time, it may make sense for you to try some SQ Lab Innerbarends:

https://www.sq-lab.com/en/products/i...rends-411.html

I ride both flat- and dropbar roadies all the time, and while I wouldn’t ascribe comfort per se to bar shape, I do often want the aerodynamic relief of bringing my arms in close to my body. Narrower flat bars are one way to do that, but come with compromises in some areas. The SQ Lab inner bar ends have the added value of not only reorienting your handholds for better, deeper elbow bending, they can be placed narrower than you could ever get a flatbar (with gears n’ brakes), so you get not only a new position, but also a more aerodynamic one.

On my distance flatbar bike, I use the Innerbarends, and really like them:

Classic, end-of-bar ends are an option, too, and while I find them comfy, the do sacrifice on the aerodynamic efficiency aspect.

There are hordes of clip-on aero extensions available as well as shaped handlebars which you could retrofit to your existing bike to experiment with and see how hand/body position changes affect your riding.