MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium
I'm a fully broken heart aging cyclist. I have several heart conditions that could become life threatening.

I am using a Wahoo fitness app and Tickr HR monitor that appears to display "jumps" in my heart rate. Since these HR spikes are not tracking my exertion level I am suspecting that they represent HR arrhythmia - most likely some sort of SVT. Since I don't feel any changes in my chest I assume these signals must be atrial in origin and not the ventricles in spasm.

My question is: Are any of you familiar with this kind of HR monitor activity? Are any of you using wearable EKG regularly? And if you are - is there a relationship between how many P wave signals there are and how the HR monitor counts actual ventricular beats? (QRS cycles)

Thanks - any conjecture welcome - I'm assuming consumer HR monitors count only ventricular depolarization as a heart beat - but I'm just guessing.
Since this thread has been revived and in case the OP ever looks at it again after two years,

1. One cannot subjectively distinguish supraventricular from ventricular tachycardia and they will look the same on a HR trace. I assume by "ventricles in spasm" you mean ventricular fibrillation. Trust me, you'll know when you have that and it will show up as an HR of zero.

2. Athletic HRMs cannot see or count P waves. You need a real EKG for that.
Likes For MoAlpha: