Thread: Road Rage
View Single Post
Old 08-04-22, 09:04 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 789 Posts
In addition to the incident I had in post #17 above, I had another one around the same period, give or take a day or two. I thought at the time this was a case of road rage, but after reflecting on it...I'm not sure, but I was pissed.

I was riding down a 2-lane road with no shoulder speed limit 30-mph.

I passed an intersection with no cars behind me (I ride this road every time I go to the gym) and I had to take a left in just under 0.4-mile. About 1/2-way past the intersection I noticed a car turn into my lane, but I knew I had time to make the left turn, so I stayed in the middle of the lane.

I noticed the car gaining on me quickly, more than he should of with a 30-mph speed limit and me going just over 20-mph, but I stayed in the lane as this guy kept gaining ground, since my turn was coming up.

As I put out my left hand, signaling I was taking a left turn, I noticed the driver behind me was pulling into the other lane, as if he was going to pass me. I thought he would immediately comeback to our lane after seeing my arm singling a left turn, but he didn't. When I first saw him attempting to pass me, I was almost 50-feet from making the turn, so he would have at least come very close to hitting me if I turned as normal, the only other option was to abort the turn.

This pissed me off, so I aborted the turn and just kept slowly going over to the left to block him from passing me (being ready to get out of the way if necessary) and he had to hit his brakes at which time I yelled back to him, What the F**k!! (I wanted very much to have a conversation with this guy).

He pulled back into the right lane as I was stopped in the left lane, not far from the centerline.

He just drove off. I know I sounded freakin' mad, but I was also kind of scared and my adrenaline was pumping.

I'm not sure why he would do this, but it was a stupid, reckless act, I've never seen anyone attempt on this road. When I looked at him, I was stopped in the opposite lane, near the centerline, he slowly started moving again, past me in as he turned into the normal driving lane.

He never gestured to me, despite me yelling at him. So I guess he realized he made a bad mistake, usually I at least get the bird from people I have this type of interaction. That's why I'm glad I (nowadays) try really hard not to get too angry and stupid by yelling at people and flipping them off, sometimes maybe it's just an innocent mistake, but at that time it was very scary, hence the yelling, but I never flipped him off.