Old 08-10-22, 03:55 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 1,905 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by m.c.
Thanks for the information. It sounds more involved than just buying a cabinet and sprayer like I had imagined.

Do you know if powdercoat can be painted and clear coated?

If they will take on my frame stripping I thought I could have them powder coat it too. Then I could paint the details I want and add decals and then clear coat over all of it.
I want the frame the area between the head lugs painted a lighter color, maybe a band on the seatpost, and decals added. Then clear coat.
Yes you can put color paint and clear over powdercoat. I used to do this for John Cherry MTB frames. This was a long time ago when powder coating didn't look so great. The surface wan't very glossy and had orange peel. By wet sanding the surface smooth, I could then apply his decals and lay down a nice glossy smooth polyurethane clear coat (Dupont Imron).

It is possible to make a DIY suction type of sandblaster unit. The bottom of the cabinet needs to be tapered like a funnel so the media all collects in the center. Of course you have to have some kind of heavy mesh platform above the funnel where the frame can rest when blasting. You will also need some kind of exhaust to get rid of dust. If you ever get that far I can explain how that can be done. It isn't that difficult once you understand the concept. Sandblasters use a lot of air so a 3 hp is the minimum but 5 is better of course.