View Single Post
Old 08-11-22, 02:41 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
I installed a Praxis PF30 BB onto a frame a few weeks ago and the instructions were very particular about where to use grease vs. where to use anti-seize. I followed the instructions and all is good, at least until that BB needs to be removed in some undetermined future (or never).

But when should one generally use anti-seize instead of grease? Can anti-seize be applied to all threads or only when specified? I would think for bearings it should always be grease. On the BB, the press-fit shell was to be greased but the cups were thread together types and the threads used anti-seize.
At the risk of raising the ire of people who get paid to fix bikes and are experts…I use anti-seize on basically anything that is threaded where the threads are not exposed. Anti-seize is grease with suspended solids, so it shouldn’t be used in applications that move (e.g., bearings or suspension pieces). But, for threads it is ideal, as it lubricates while torquing to ensure getting the right torque, and it prevents galvanic corrosion if dissimilar metals are in contact. For whatever reason, regular grease is claimed to not do that second piece, and I’m not willing to experiment to see if it is true. I just accept the science.

Specifically to that BB, which I have used on two difference bikes, the only place you need anti-seize is on the threads where the two sides mate. I also used it on threads for the crank where it mates. I used grease where the BB cups press into the frame on both the cup and frame, and also where the crank spindle pressed through the bearings. Having switched both of those bikes over DUB BBs and cranks, I still do it the same way. And I’ve never had any issues with disassembly. I also use anti-seize on pedal threads and on the threads of screws that fasten my derailleurs. Again, never had an issue.