Charlie Ky
Otis Fan

Bikes: Specialized Roll 2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by BrenZan
Didn't know which subforum was most appropriate for this question, but here goes

My mom likes to bike and would bike every day to work if she could - however, she has a pretty bad hemorrhoid problem, and the ride isn't all that short (for a very casual and older cyclist), which aggravates her symptoms. She's been using my sister's bike (cheap Canadian Tire women's mtb), which has a bit of a hard seat which definitely does not help. I've been considering getting her one of those fat and wide comfort seats, but I'm not sure how effective that would be. What seat should I get if I'm to do that?

I was wondering if anyone here has the same problem, and what you guys do to nullify it (aside from cream)? Thanks!

I have the same issue. First I'd recommend she take two or three tablespoons of whole husk psyllium fiber. One teaspoon with water at a time between meals. Also eat foods with soluble fiber. I started doing that after some research and after 3 or 4 days my rhoids calmed down. Before I started getting all that fiber it was a vicious cycle. Not fun.

When I started riding a bike they acted up a bit for the first week but then all was well.

Bottom line, have a surgeon deal with them for you or up your intake of soluble fiber ... for life.

A wide cushioned saddle with a padded saddle cover really helps as well.