View Single Post
Old 08-13-22, 12:11 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by ThisJustIn
I found a vintage Sekine on Kijiji and the person is asking $460 for it. My gut tells me it is not worth near that much. I'm thinking I should offer no more than $200 for it.

Here is a description (I'm not allowed to post photos yet):

"Classic Sekine road bike. Made in Japan prior to 1973 before Sekine moved production to Canada. The bike is nearly all original. It was recently fixed and tuned up by a professional and is in excellent condition. Wheels are true and 10 speed gears work flawlessly. Schwalbe puncture-protection 32mm tires - almost unworn. Front brake pads are unworn; rear brake pads are brand new. New bar tape. New cables for drivetrain.

Standover height: 89 cm / 35”. Top tube length: 57 cm / 22”. Seat tube: 62 cm / 24.4” Downtube shifters. Cantilever breaks w/extension levers.

Bike is ready for joyful road riding – or the new owner can easily turn it into a gravel bike. Rim width and frame clearance allow for wider tires (38-41mm). Fenders and rear rack can be installed as bike has all necessary eyelets and mounts.

It’s up to the new owner: keep it as a road bike or convert it into a gravel bike. Either way it looks fantastic and retro, all while being a reliable and quick commuter."

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance 🤙
I have to say that this ad is a load of doodoo. I worked in a bike shop in Ottawa in 1975 where we sold Sekene bikes that were built in Canada. Every single one of them, even the least expensive were much better quality than the one in that ad. The thought that the ones that were not built here were better is ludicrous. Some were, some weren't. I would expect to be able to buy that particular bike at a garage sale at the end of the day for about $25 if I wanted it, which I wouldn't