TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,571 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
45min of singletrack on the cross bike yesterday, then wheelswap and and 75min of tempo.

Man, with the smaller cross tires and the drop bars it's all you can do to mentally handle all the direction changes and challenges that a MTB just plows over not even worrying about. Especially the suspension folks.
Even within MTB, there is a huge spectrum of bike capability and trail difficulties. MTB is probably the most diverse cycling discipline.

I went with a hardtail (29") when I built my new bike up last year, but wish I would have done FS. "I'm not that much of a MTBer", I thought. But, I do find myself getting a bit beat up on some real chunky stuff, and all the top XC guys are now on (short travel, steep angled) FS bikes on all but the most mundane courses. A dropper post won Olympic XC for the first time in 2020.

It's all about the right tool for the job. Personally I don't particularly enjoy being "under biked". I rode BWR full in 2019 on my TCR with 25's and thought I'd be fine since I knew the unpaved bits from MTB. Boy was I wrong - that sucked lol