Old 08-23-22, 12:41 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
I've been waxing for a number of years. A $13 small crockpot lives in the garage. I fashioned an Al "basket" that keeps the chain off the accumulated crud on the bottom. I buy a cassette and 3 chains at a time, initially degrease the chains and then rotate them ~300 mi/chain. Before routine rewaxing, I brush bits off the chains with a stiff-bristle cassette brush. The 3x chain waxing process involves turning on the crockpot, getting on with my day for a few hours, then dumping in a chain for ~1 hr, retrieving the chain, brushing off the next and dropping it in, then repeating the process with the third chain. The total hands-on is maybe 15 min for the lot, and I have ~1000 miles-worth of waxed chain ready to go. Also a routinely clean chain and cassette is a marked difference from wet lube, where I could clean everything to sparkling, and it would all be black after 10 miles. Also no black fingers if I have to pull the rear wheel for a flat.

I started with a couple of lb of wax granules off Amazon, but I'll use any wax - makes little difference that I can see. Someone gave us some pretty ugly home-made candles - into the crockpot they went

Last edited by Litespud; 08-24-22 at 10:36 AM.
Likes For Litespud: