View Single Post
Old 08-28-22, 06:41 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
It might be a matter of degree and what the mods are.
Many CR folks know that Peter Weigle has a habit of modifying old Raleighs (and mostly Internationals) to more of a 650B rando style. I don't recall anyone giving Peter any grief about it.

There is an acceptance of things that accommodate physical needs too, such as the widespread use of clipless pedals on bikes that folks rode on the CR gatherings. Some of that is due to the scarcity of slotted cleat shoes, and some is that folks just find clipless easier to deal with. I think the same goes for lower gearing. While these things aren't shunned, they don't seem to be an area of discussion either.

I've been participating in the CR list since.. around the year 2000?? The membership has changed a bit and the novelty has worn off. Maybe everyone learned everything there is to learn?? Or maybe everyone found their holy grails and ran out of questions (which might be my situation).
I know that I appreciate the CR list and the folks and wisdom that resides there.

Steve in Peoria, USA
ennui perhaps.
the original list was clanky but pretty easy to search, allowing wild cards.

I referenced early this year what was posted near 20 years ago. Some no doubt have drifted off. Some would require a seance to contact.
when the list was 1,200 or so that seemed like a good amount. Note that back then one could Read the archives, just not post before signing up. Now, to read an individual must sign up.
the number of active members was declining before the move to Googlegroup.