Old 08-30-22, 03:45 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
One night there was a nice dinner spread with a yummy vegetable medley. We hadn’t seen a lot of good veggies until then. I went back for seconds only to find all the veggies gone. (There was still plenty of the three other types of meat served as part of the meal.) A woman working the meal told me they didn’t realize cyclist would go for the veggies like we did.
Two thoughts. First, finding good veggies seems to be difficult on a bike tour, period. I told one couple we met on the Trans Am in Kansas about a good salad bar at the next town, to which the lady replied something like, "Oh, we haven't had any trouble finding vegetables." I refrained from telling her, "Yeah, remember that in three weeks."

Next, if you've got any kind of special diet, it can cause problems. At one town in Wisconsin, I had a nice sized salad and inadvertently ate about three peoples' worth -- the kitchen had no more. I don't remember if that was the same place that told vegetarians in the group, "There's plenty of rice left!" And though the caterer on CGY was great, if you hadn't ordered a vegetarian diet up front, they didn't have any extra meals. Left some real vegetarians disgruntled when they were at the end of the line.