View Single Post
Old 08-31-22, 08:33 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Well it happened: First crash

Was going downhill on a road I wasn’t familiar with along with a friend. Took the first turn fine but it hid the second that came fast. I feathered the brakes to reduce speed and was surprised the rear wheel skidded. I released the brakes to gain traction. At that point it was too late and I ran into the curb. my friend behind me also skidded but he was coming to a stop when he turned the corner and saw me crash. Grateful he was going slower and didn’t crash. I Went over the bars and landed on my left shoulder. Strava said I was going 38mph.

I’ve been in the hospital since the accident Sunday afternoon (I’m writing this Wed night).

broken clavicle, dislocation, three ribs broken, and punctured lung. Some minor injury to one of the spine bones and road rash.

im doing better but this really sucks. I know it could have been worse and I’m grateful. I also know this was my fault. I am REALLY glad it happened when riding with a friend.

One doc said it will be a year before I can bike. All others are more optimistic. I’m actually healing quite well they are saying. There is no way I’m giving up on biking.

my friend took my bike home. Not sure of the damage. Nothing obvious but a bent rear rack (looks like the bike went over with me and landed on the rack then in the bushes. other than that , I don’t really want to look at it 😀

I’m looking for experience from others to know what to expect. I told The therapists that I will do anything you want me to do even if it’s painful as long as it doesn’t injure me -I think they kind of like working with me.

Last edited by Symox; 08-31-22 at 08:40 PM.