Old 09-01-22, 08:37 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
The most likely scenario is the truck slowed to make a wide turn, then cyclist caught up and entered the **** zone.
My technique to avoid getting hooked was to keep a speed as close to 20 mph as i could, given the circumstances. It is almost impossible for a normal car or truck to make a sharp 90° turn at 20mph. Also, 20 mph is roughly the speed where I look like TRAFFIC and not a stationary object - so motorists are more than happy to FOLLOW me to their turn. I always use a helmet mounted rear-view mirror. And I pay attention to traffic, not clouds, birds, or daydreaming. Awareness is KEY. I see so many "cyclists" rolling along without a care in the world as if they were the only person on Earth.

I have a folding bike with 14" wheels, single speed. I can only get about 13-14 mph pace out of that thing. Every time I ride it someone tries to right-hook me. At 18-20 mph (different bike) I get ZERO hook attempts. The saying "Speed Kills" does not apply to bicycling in traffic.

So if she was a daydreaming slowpoke her odds of getting hooked was nearly 100%.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 09-01-22 at 08:41 PM.