View Single Post
Old 09-05-22, 04:37 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
Understanding wheel spoke failures may help here. If you break one spoke, maybe two, due to a specific event like a crash, it’s easy enough to replace them if the rim isn’t damaged. It’s not common to break more than one or two spokes before the rim is damaged enough that a replacement costs less than the labor to repair it.

On the other hand, if spokes are breaking due to fatigue, that’s a warning the wheel wasn’t built right and though you can’t see it, every other spoke in the wheel is getting ready to break as well. I’m this case you could replace the 4 broken ones, but no matter what you do another 4, maybe more, will be broken in 500 to 1000 miles. This will keep repeating, at best, until all of the spokes have been replaced. The mechanic knows that if he replaces one or two, but they keep breaking like this, that the customer will constantly be returning with newly broken spokes and the labor cost will quickly pass that of a new wheel. I had a friend in college not believe me about this. He ended up replacing something like 15 or 20 spokes in a ?28? spoke wheel over a couple months in the summer before he finally just got a new wheel.

In that case you can probably reuse the hub and rim, but should replace all of the spokes if you want to guarantee long term durability. You’ll want to make sure they are oriented the same way in the hub, and relative to each other. There’s plenty more to proper wheel building elsewhere on this site.

If you want to go this route, or any other that involves replacing spokes, I would remove a good spoke and have the shop measure it to confirm the length. Nothing worse than ordering a batch of spokes and not being able to use or return them.

Last edited by jccaclimber; 09-05-22 at 04:40 PM.