Old 09-06-22, 11:39 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by Kirk005
Greetings all! I was diagnosed w/ HF reduced ejection fraction (35%) last year. I’ve switched to an ebike only now, but my cardiologist is pushing hard for an ICD to prevent cardiac arrest. Has anyone in this forum been mountain biking w/ an ICD? I’m curious about safety, false triggers due to jarring, etc. I’ve never had a cardiac event, clear on a cardiac cath, but have septal scar at the apex. I still ride, keeping my HR below 120 (on several meds), and don’t have issues (other than resting arrhythmias). I’m just debating the install and if it will prevent riding my MTB. This would be a disaster for me as I ride 3-5 times per week, mostly technical single track. Looking forward to any feedback! Thanks!
never worried about my ICD going off due to vibrations - it’s pretty well insulated in there by the body itself. i’ve ridden my rigid gravel bike on some bouncy stuff, but not on a weekly basis. what can be an issue is repeated pressure/abrasion on the chest or repeated hyperextension of the shoulder joint on that side causing the insulation on the lead to fray. happens with weightlifters, some swimmers, contact sports, etc. but i’ve never heard of any vibration that your body can tolerate being an issue.

i have reduced EF, take a couple meds, history of serious arrythmia, and i do about 500 miles/month. a bit more strenuously than my doc recommends but i do keep the HR to an average of 100-110, absolute max 130.

my biggest worry is a shock causing loss of control at high speed on the bike. i’ve only been shocked once in the last 5 years, and it was an inappropriate one (cracked lead.) if i was getting frequent therapy from the device (either shocks or ATP) i would not ride.