View Single Post
Old 09-11-22, 08:24 PM
ibcosmo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, answered all of above questions in a long post but doesn't look like it posted. So I will post again. I bought a 1982 Della Santa in 2019 from what I was told original owner. The bike had never been built, person I bought it from said a person in Texas was selling a 1983 Pogliaghi with all Campy record and super record components. I was trying to build the Della Santa period correct so Pogliaghi worked great. Everything swapped over fine and bike worked great. At 71 years old and living in the hill-mountains the 52-42 chainrings with 13-26 freewheel was a little tough. Decided to convert to a triple. Ordered a Redclover 40 tooth chainring that allows a third inner chainring to be mounted to it. It is a Campy record crank set that I'm converting. Now the weird stuff. Didn't really pay attention when swapping bottom bracket from Pogliaghi to Della Santa. When I needed a longer BB spindle to make triple spacing work I researched the forum and found what had worked for other people. Seemed a spindle length of 124mm was right. So I assumed from all I read I had a 68mm BB shell. So i found a Campy MTB BB that had English threaded cups (just needed spindle so not to concerned about cup threads ). So pull the Campy spindle out of Della Santa and it's a 70-ss spindle with 115mm length. I have a friend been in bike business for over 50 years a friend of Rolland Della Santas fo over 30 years. He sold Pogliaghi's in the 1980's. He said Rolland used Italian BB shells on his frames as did Pogliaghi. I should have stated earlier the BB is French threads 35x1 stamped on Campy cups.That should be a 68mm shell width from all I have read. The spindle that came out of the Pogliaghi and into the Della Santa is marked 70-ss. Nobody I've talked to has ever heard of French threads and a 70mm BB shell. The BB shell on the Della Santa is a Cinelli BB shell. So lets say industry standard not some off brand knockoff. The Campy MTB spindle was a 68-ss and 124mm length. Not what I needed but assembled the BB with the MTB spindle to check the spacing of chainring from chainstay. When installing the left side cup I could get it adjusted correctly but minimal threads outside of BB shell for the lockring to engage. I was able to start lockring and actually tight it. I mainly did this so I could check spacing and if the Campy super record derailleurs would handle the triple setup. Everything worked, I rode half of the Death Ride this year with this setup. It isn't right and jury rigged at best so that's why I'm looking for a Campy record 70-ss x 124mm length spindle so it's done right. Someone replied about Rollands relationship with Greg LeMond. When I bought the Della Santa frame the owner sent me a few pictures of Greg Lemond holding the Della Santa frame over his head. It was at the annual bike expo circa 2000-2001. I was pretty stoked to get pictures.