Old 09-11-22, 08:46 PM
RandolphCarter
PeopleCode delaminator

Bikes: 1986 Trek 310 Elance, 1997 Schwinn HydraGlide, 1987 Trek Antelope 800, 2003 Haro F4, 198? Allsop Offroad Climber

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 66 Posts
Someone else's Frankenbike (or, assembled box o'crap )

So I've posted now and then about various basket case bikes I've dragged home over the years.

This spring I ended up with a real headscratcher. I blame my neighbor and his awful awful enabling behavior. And his beer.

It's a bike boom era "Allitalia". No model or tubing brand.

i had posted earlier about how this bike has a titanium spindle Italian threaded O.M.O.S. bottom bracket.

I took a bit of time to look more closely at the rest of the parts on it. There were several surprises:

-Universal Extra sidepull brakes. Never heard of these or seen them before, I thought they were Weinmann brakes at first glance
-Unknown bars. No visible marks or stampings
-Unknown brake levers. Again, no marks. Brake hoods are surprisingly not gooey or crumbling.
-Sunshine rear hub with a Maeda Industries (Suntour) freewheel. No notches for removal tool, uses spanner pins. This is laced to an "AKRONT" alloy rim, another brand of part I've never heard of
​​​-Normandy-ish front hub laced to a steel rim. The rim has an "S" stamped in to it and the hub skewer says "Bloc G". Googling for info about Bloc G hubs finds a few hits of people asking what they are but no other info
-a 3ttt stem where the part facing the rider is open and you can see the stem bolt.

I've gotten as far as pulling the cranks and the bottom bracket. The frame has some of the worst welds I've ever seen on a bike, stamped dropouts, no braze one, and an exposed seam on the underside of the BB shell so I'm pretty sure it is nothing special.

The rest of the parts minus the seatpost (popped right out) are still on the bike.

I really feel like in the early 70s someone decided to assemble a bike with a box o'crap inspired mix of parts. Really not likely that a gas pipe bike came stock with a titanium spindle bottom bracket.