View Single Post
Old 09-14-22, 07:41 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
I don't really know if this belongs in this forum, but...
When I was young, I toured quite a bit through New England and Nova Scotia. I carried my tent, sleeping bag, clothing, cooking gear, etc all on the bike.
Well, those days are well behind me now. Now my idea of touring is traveling from hotel to hotel, eating at local restaurants, and laying my 70 year old body on a nice, comfy mattress after a long, hot shower.
I've been thinking of planning a multi day ride, but my current bike really isn't set up for panniers, or even anything remotely large enough to load some clothes and personal items. Has anyone ever tried calling something like an Uber or Lyft to pick up a small piece of luggage, transport it to the next stop, and drop it off? Of course, this would have to be arranged with the next night's accommodations, as the luggage would arrive before I would, so they would have to keep it somewhere until I arrived to check in. To be honest, I'm not even sure Uber or Lyft would do this, but perhaps there's some other way (taxi? Do they still have taxis??)
Suggestions welcome. Note - I have looked into the organized tour companies, but most of them are almost $700 per day, if not more. A little steep for my budget.
check out the Quebec "Velo Quebec" week long supported trip in august called "Le Grand Tour", like ragbrai, they carry your stuff, food, with a few hotel rooms available, mostly tent sleeping

and on your own, no reason why you cant just put on any light rear rack and use really light panniers like Arkel Dry-Lites (about a pound, about 20 litres) which could easily carry light off bike clothes--but in the end, if you want a totally unloaded bike, you're going to have to come up with other solutions.

good luck with your decisions and reasoning