Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
It's a lot like making a speech presentation. Sure you can write out a perfect script word-for-word, but it's often way too rigid. Life always turns out differently from how you planned. Better to come up with 5-8 different scenarios, rehearse them all. Then at the appropriate times, switch game-plans based upon what's actually happening.
Easier just to have your teammates understand what good position is. If everyone is in a good position the "Scenarios" happen, any race situation can be made to work in your favor, team or no team.

Example: Im "the finisher" on a team with 2 other decent sprinters. 1km (circut race) to go I get wiped off the wheel of my leadout. Too late to reload but I trust that my mates are where they should be, so I put my head down and string out the pack, no hesitation no chat. Result 2nd (by a tire), 3rd, 5th (me), 6th (leadout man). A good effort by any measure. Back on topic the winner of this race was unattached, he marked the best Team sprinter in the race and got lucky.

My experience has been that teams who discuss tactics, eg im gonna do this and you do that, are less successfull than teams who discuss and really understand position.