I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulH
Twenty years of experience commuting in normal office clothing here, brought to a possible end by forced telework. My commute was 25 miles round trip for part of that time. I think that the "semi sporty" part could be a problem. An hour and a quarter for 12.5 miles worked out well for me. Basically, I rode at a walking level of exertion. The type of bike is a really big factor. Upright bikes, like English 3 speeds or modern European commuter bikes are designed to be ridden in normal clothing. Most bikes sold in this country (road, mountain, or hybrid) are not. Upright riding position, wide leather saddle, and a chainguard/chaincase make a huge difference. My answer is yes, you can do it, and with the proper equipment it can be the easiest. fastest, and most convenient way to commute in congested areas with little or no parking. If you want sporty, I think an e-bike might be good.
Originally Posted by holytrousers
A road bike could bring those 12 miles down to 40 minutes, with 35 minutes left to freshen up and change clothes
Paul H commuted 12.5 miles to work in the Washington D.C. area. Would a road bike turn all the traffic signals green as well as make stop signs and rush hour traffic disappear too?
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike: