tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
Here's a quote from the OP:"My goal would be to enhance the torque I can generate."
If bigger chainrings gave more torque, why does going to a smaller chainring make climbs easier?
A bigger chainring will only let a rider apply more torque if the current chainring has the rider spinning out, a scenario I mentioned in my reply.
A larger chainring and smaller cog in the rear increases speed. The OP states in their initial post they want to increase SPEED.

My goal would be to enhance the torque I can generate and thus my speed.
If you're going to quote something or someone, quote the entire line so it shows the actual discussion. I recently changed a cheap 14t-28t freewheel to a 11t-28t freewheel. The smallest cog (14t to 11t) allows me to reach higher speeds. Next, chainring. I swapped a 48t chainring for a 52t. It allows me to reach higher speeds. It does also provide more torque. BOTH TOGETHER increased the speed I can achieve. Apparently you have something confused. And the OP, as stated, is indeed interested in SPEED. If anything has changed since my previous post, who knows. Otherwise, you're WRONG. And chopping up someone's sentences won't change that.

PS - going from a smaller to a larger cog (gear) in the rear makes climbing easier. If you swap a 28t to a 32t rear cog you'll decrease speed BUT enable better climbing ability.

PPS - check out Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Gear Inch Calculator and play around with the settings. It'll give you a better idea of what size cogs and chainrings will get you: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html

Last edited by tds101; 09-20-22 at 09:39 AM.