Old 09-24-22, 09:01 PM
rudypyatt

Bikes: Windsor TimeLine; Linus Gaston 3; Sears Free Spirit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider
I've just noticed what you have there! A Windsor Timeline with a Sturmey-Archer 3-speed setup? Nice! How does it ride, compared to, say a 2 x X derailleur setup?
It's wonderful! It was fun as a single speed (never flipped it over to the fixed cog) and it's REALLY fun as a three speed. For NYC, it does the job very well: I haven't had a problem with hills and I am using the traditional gearing (46x18, giving 52/69/92 gear inches). Mind you, I haven't ridden in the North Bronx yet; it's quite hilly up there, so that would be an interesting test.

I haven't ridden a derailleur bike in 12 years, not since I rented a Trek 7000 hybrid when I got back into cycling after about 30 years. Before that, it was my boyhood Sears 10 speed (like so many, I left the bike in the garage when I learned how to drive at 15), so no recent basis for comparison. Sometimes I wonder about getting a derailleur bike, but the three speed gives me everything I need around town. Being able to shift at any time in stop and go traffic is a huge plus, and it's a quick bike. Saying that, I would probably need a derailleur bike if I did group rides; I suspect that most clubs wouldn't want an IGH bike (drop bars or not) along, unfortunately.

Maybe I should try a group ride, if I'm allowed to participate. I wonder if I could keep up with three gears. At any rate, my goal is to ride a century at some point. I doubt I have the legs right now, but the bike is up to it I'm sure.
Likes For rudypyatt: