View Single Post
Old 09-27-22, 08:41 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Logistics may be simpler if you just bite the bullet and start riding across the country.

OTOH, I've been trying to figure out how to cycle the New River Trail in Virginia. Problem is, it's a day's drive from home. So either I pack lightly and park at one end, cycle to the other, find a motel or B&B, and ride back the next day; enlist a spouse or sibling to pick me up at the other end and shuttle me back; or try to ride 100 miles on gravel in a day. The problem with a shuttle driver is they get nervous if you're late, an ambulance goes by, a thunderstorm comes up, etc.

FWIW, the C&O/GAP may be so popular because the train makes the return trip so easy.
Maybe just set the shuttle first before riding. That is, get someone to help you drop your car at the end and you and your bike at the start. That is probably what I would do. Then there is no worrying whether your shuttle will show up. No worrying for you shuttle if you are late. Just set a generous time expectation about when you are expected home.

To me that makes way more sense than having someone having to hang around at the end.

Last edited by staehpj1; 09-27-22 at 08:48 AM.