View Single Post
Old 09-29-22, 03:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
I would only pass someone on the right if I knew who they were and know they wouldn't care. Generally I don't think you should have to announce yourself; if the pass is close enough that it warrants an announcement then you probably shouldn't be making that pass and you certainly shouldn't be doing it from the unexpected side (the right.) That being said when I ride with other people I tend to say "inside" or "on your right" more than "on your left" specifically because being on the inside/to the right is kind of unexpected and unusual.

I was commenting on terry because he seems to be a letter of the law type when talking about a scooter dudes top speed (lol!) so I find it interesting that he would ever pass another cyclist on the right. He can pass the cars however he wants I dont care.
You are really unclear on the concept of what announcing is for--if it's too close to pass, I'm not going to pass. I announce to prevent someone from unexpectedly swerving in a manner that will cut off the passing lane. Generally, my passes on roads don't warrant announcing because I will swing way out enough so that there really isn't even a theoretical possibility of such a swerve, but I will announce if I sense ANY possibility that could happen even if it's remote. I would only pass a cyclist on the right if they were way out in the road and I'm not sure it's ever actually happened, but any rudeness due to it being unexpected is alleviated by the announcement. If they don't want to be passed, they need to ride faster.
​​​​​I have passed cyclists on the right on MUPs, but they had no business riding on the left side of the path, and I always announce on MUPs.
Likes For livedarklions: