Old 09-29-22, 08:19 AM
mr,grumpy 

Bikes: 1978(ish) Peugeot PRN10e, Specialized Tricross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 25 Posts
N+1 justification question.

Let’s not sugar coat this. I just want strangers on the internet to validate my sketchy decision.

i have a 6 mile ride each way to work. Currently I do this on my old trek 820 full rigid conversion with 26 inch semi slick “street” tires. It gets fro point A to point B but with no great speed. My “nice road bike” is a FX S4. The older aluminum one. It is without a doubt a faster bike but I don’t want to hang a bunch of crap off of it to make it a “commuter” nor do. I particularly want to put the wear and tear on it.

what I am thinking is that I should pick up a used Marlin. Fit some semi slick tires on it and rack it up. They are a dime a dozen around here and it would be cheeper to run one of those into the ground than replace my S4

the key factor is that I am a new computer and my #1 point of anxiety is “on time” ability. To the point where I’m either an hour early or I don’t peddle. In my imagination it’s because my commuter is too slow. ( comsideringhear ratios it’s probably “faster” than the Marlin would be but there’s no dopamine hit in calculating gear inches).

the other factor is that I have been exploring. Some farther afield dirt roads (I REFUSE to rebrand “dirt roads” as “gravel”). The S4 just isn’t cut out for this kind of activity.

so, should I buy a Marlin? (I’d be looking at a DS or cross trail but they aren’t as poplar around these parts).

1980ish Raleigh Marathon (Vintage Steel)
2006 Trek 820 (Captain Amazing)
2010 Specialized Tricross (Back in Black)
2008 Specialized Roubaix