View Single Post
Old 10-01-22, 01:02 PM
gquirk77

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Noises from bottom bracket!?

My Salsa Fargo is making a grinding noise when I pedal hard and a popping and grinding when I'm not pedalling. If I'm lightly pedaling on a flat area it sounds fine. I thought it was the bottom bracket so I had a new one installed but it didn't fix the problem, so next I had new pedals put on and that's not the cause either. Sprayed some WD 40 and that helped for about 4 miles with the noise that happens when I'm pedalling hard but didn't do anything to the noise when I'm coasting.

I'm in Sardinia and don't speak Italian, the mechanic didn't do much (any) troubleshooting, he just installed the 2 items and when neither fixed it i didn't go back a 3rd time to him. I stopped at another mechanic type place that sold kids bikes and other sporting goods and the guy there thought it was the rear wheel (but our conversation was mostly hand gestures because he didn't speak any English and he was abrupt), but how could it be the wheel when the 2 issues are both dependent on if I'm pedalling or not? Plus, the sound doesn't seem to be coming from the wheel, sounds like it's at the bottom bracket area.

Everything is closed tomorrow so I'll have to wait till Monday to find a bike shop.