Old 10-05-22, 08:05 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Indytriumph
I have a 1987 Schwinn Super Sport that I recently picked up from a garage sale. Most of the components are there, just worn and not looking so good. I am debating on removing everything, have the frame and fork painted and then build the bike up myself. I have never done anything like this before but I do understand that I will have more money into this than I expect. I just want the joy of building it and riding what I had built.
My questions are, what am I getting myself into?
Also, I am looking for suggestions for the components. What works on this old frame? I see this bike becoming my light touring bike, credit card touring bike or just doing local century rides.
Who does good quality painting on bikes?

I have a love for this era of Schwinn's, its what makes me smile when I ride. I have a 87 Tempo and a 87 Prologue that I do club rides on. I would love to have one set up as my long distance bike.

Tom
Hey Tom, some version of this question comes up a lot and the general consensus is that you will be money wayyyyy ahead just finding a cheap bike that's in good shape already. Once you start talking painting frames, buying new parts, etc, you're gonna be into way more than you'll ever get out of it. Now I'm not saying don't do it, like you said the process is half the fun. But you asked what you're getting into, it's a lot. Post a pic of it, we'd like to see it as found.