View Single Post
Old 10-06-22, 10:11 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by EVlove
Well, I'm the opposite, I give zero attention to the commercial stations, they're driven by ratings.

Interesting, the tv channels sure are driven by ratings. But all of the channels around here rely on the NOAA services to be accurate since they use NOAA's numbers in their reports. And to their credit only Ch. 4 and Ch. 38 (which are partners) had the guts to make a glancing comment about the obvious error by NOAA on that occasion.

And I understand why the viewers might be concerned about NOAA's under-reporting about the rainfall. Between July 1 and August 31 of this year, or thereabouts, "the city of Boston" (particular to that municipality) had only 4 inches of rain total. And I agree with RR - that's pretty low for a summer rainfall around here. And during that time this entire eastern Massachusetts region has been in a "severe drought."

So, like I said above, I see with my own two eyes that it's raining modestly in mid-September. And I start to think, ahhh, the drought is finally breaking up and ending. And then the media claims there was no rain and continues to hype a drought narrative based on the faulty numbers. TBH that's really weird.

And So now I get concerned that NOAA might be exaggerating the drought narrative a little bit by under-reporting "no rain." Sure, it's explainable by an instrumentation problem they may have had, but in my opinion the public has every right to keep honest NOAA just like the media.

At least that's my soap box moment for the day.

Oh Dan - OMG lol the red sox have it too easy, I agree. [sarcasm] They should be forced to go watch the final Patriots / Bills game up in Buffalo this January - it's also hitting the fan in Foxboro!

Last edited by parkbrav; 10-06-22 at 10:39 AM.
Likes For parkbrav: